Monday, October 29, 2018

PLCS Be Known for Engagement

It doesn’t seem possible it’s already time for Parent-Teacher Conferences. The fall term always passes by so quickly and Parent-Teacher Conferences serve as an important signpost as the midway point of the semester. As a parent, I certainly understand the importance of Parent-Teacher Conferences. We have so many ways to communicate with students and parents: emails, phone calls, school newsletters, robo-calls, and the District App to name just a few. But in my opinion, there is no substitute for a good, old-fashioned face-to-face meeting with your students’ teachers.

This is my first year as the parent of a high schooler. The freshman year represents so many “first experiences.” From the first open house to the first Homecoming dance, everything is new and exciting. And a little bit frightening! My wife Amy and I are so proud of our daughter, but we’re also very protective of her. We want her high school experience to be happy and productive. Parent-Teacher Conferences are a good first step to make sure that happens. If there is one thing I know, it is that it truly takes a village to raise a teenager and we want our teachers and administrators in our village.

As hoped, conferences were a success, and much of the credit goes to my daughter’s teachers. They have done an incredible job communicating her progress, so there were no surprises at her conferences. I sometimes worry my children’s teachers will treat them differently because of the chair that I sit in. I have seen no evidence of that. It can’t be easy having the Superintendent’s kids in class! Our teachers are highly professional, and I am grateful for the work they do everyday with my three children and all children throughout the District.   I truly believe our District is “Known for Greatness” because of the amazing teachers we have.

Communication of course is key. Parents have mentioned to me that our teachers communicate with them so often, there is often little need for them to attend conferences. Of course, no one wants to be accused of being a disengaged parent! So to our teachers who spend so many hours working with our students and parents, I say thank you. And to our parents who take the time to stay involved with their children’s education, please know how much we appreciate your involvement and support. As always, #BeKind!


Updated October 29, 2018




No comments:

Post a Comment